■What products are tax-free?
From October 1, 2014, additional products are added to the tax-exemption products at tax-free program participating stores. This includes food, medicines and cosmetics.
* There are some restrictions and conditions depending on the type of products for tax-exemption purchase.
(1) Consumables (foods, drinks, medicines, cosmetics, etc.) must be purchased at the same store on the same day, and the total spending must be over 5,000JPY but no greater than 500,000JPY.
(2) General goods (electric appliances, clothing, accessories, etc.) EXCEPT FOR consumables are exempt from consumption tax if purchased at the same store on the same day, and the total spending must be over 10,000JPY.
* It is not exempt from tax if purchased for business and commerce.
* Some products are prohibited to import in certain countries.
The store affixes a purchase proof document in your passport, and you must keep this. This document will be collected by a custom office at your departure from Japan. You must take the purchased products out of Japan. For food, medicine and cosmetics, the package must be kept unbroken.
■Who cans shop tax-free?
Visitors with a temporary stay status are eligible for tax-free shopping.
* Japanese citizens are not eligible.
* Not eligible if you are working in Japan.
* Not eligible if staying in Japan more than six months.
■How to shop tax-free?
Show your passport at the check-out counter, and sign the purchase proof document.
■How much can I save?
The tax exemption program exempts the Japanese consumption tax.